This months theme for the Creative Cookie Exchange is Chips, Chunks or Bits, so I have made these very tasty Salted Caramel Pecan Chocolate using Chocolate Chips, make sure you add the salt to cut down on the sweetness.
Salted Caramel Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes approximately 3 dozen
Makes approximately 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 16 wrapped caramels, cut into 4 or 5 pieces each
- sea salt
Line an ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. On low speed, mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Dough will be thick and sticky. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Drop 1 Tbsp balls of dough onto cookie sheet OR used a standard-sized cookie scoop. Press a few pieces of caramel onto the tops of the cookies and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. Do NOT cook them longer than 10 minutes. Remove and let cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to cooling rack.
*Make sure to keep dough cold at all times while the batches are baking. I kept my dough in the refrigerator in between batches. Do not drop dough onto warm cookie sheets; allow sheets to cool between batches.
The theme this month is Chips, Chunks or Bits! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links. Please be patient though, as this month Laura is off to Italy and will not be checking email quite as often! You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Banana Pudding Bars from Study at Home Mama
- Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones from Spiceroots
- Chocolate Andes Mint Chip Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Stout and Pretzel Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Espresso Oatmeal Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Gourmet Iced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hazelnut Espresso Cookies from 2 Cookin' Mamas
- Lemon Bits Oatmeal Cookies from Our Good Life
- Nibbed Caramel Blondies from What Smells So Good?
- Nutty Bits Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Rocky Road Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry n White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Trail Mix Cookies from Holly at A Baker's House
- Uncle Hector's 100 Cookies from Food Lust People Love